Friday, March 16, 2012

Scrap Lumber Chicken Tractor

We have been enjoying some amazing weather this past week, so it motivated me to knock out one of my goals for his month. I would like to share with you, my Scrap Lumber Chicken Tractor! I made it completely out of scrap wood found in the barn. The only thing we had to purchase to finish it was a new roll of chicken wire, because I ended up using the rest of what I had laying around. That cost about $26 for a 4'x50' roll. The rest of that will come in handy for the next one I build. It only took me about three hours from start to finish.

Now, it's not the prettiest chicken tractor around, but it does the job!



I think they're enjoying the fresh air and sunshine as much as I am!



I am beginning to think the Buff on the left is one of my roosters. His comb is considerably larger than the rest of them.


The chicks have grown so much! Since they will eventually outgrow this one, I am making plans for another, larger chicken tractor. I have been scouring the internet for different pictures to come up with ideas for the next one. One website I stumbled upon has tons of pictures, The Chicken Tractor Gallery. If you are planning on building your own, it's a great place for ideas.

This post is linked to:






Growing Home


Our Simple Farm



7 comments:

  1. They look like they are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your right about the boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your chicken tractor. It is something easy that I could even move around. I believe the chicken on the left is a rooster, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chicken tractor is great! It's bigger than what so many people use for their chickens. The more room, the better. I agree, looks like the chick on the left may be a rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like they have loads of room and are having a great time! I'm hoping to build a chicken tractor (after I build a coop and pen and actually get chickens!) this coming spring, so I love seeing posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree I am fairly sure that is a rooster too! I think your scrap lumber chicken tractor is beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up to "The Ole'Saturday Homesteading Trading Post!" Hope you come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I am going to have to show this to my husband. What a great and easy way to move our chickens around.

    ReplyDelete