Friday, May 11, 2012

May Goals

Well once again, I am late with my goals for the month. I always seem to do well with making the goals, not so much with actually completing them...lol.

Some of April's goals that I completed include, till and plant the garden, plant herbs (some have finally sprouted!) and letting the chicks in the tractor.

And once again, those goals that didn't make it consist of the household chores. Can you tell where my priorities are? I also didn't plant more trees, I decided that I will wait until this fall to plant more. We actually planted 40-50 small White Pine trees around the property, and I didn't want anything to become neglected.

Although it wasn't on my list, fixing the chicken coop fencing and run door was very high on my mental list! DH and I fixed that a few weeks ago. Although it doesn't quite work if while you are sick, you forget to close the door... because of this we are now down to 6 Buff Orpingtons. Two were snatched in the night. I also lost an Aracauna for no apparent reason a couple of days ago. My guess is she was squished beneath the others?

Soo, some goals for May are:

Gardening

  • Mulch the garden

  • Finish planting green beans

  • Try an Epsom Salt weed killer recipe inside the greenhouse. I decided against the rock in the greenhouse for now. The weed killer is more frugal.


Livestock

  • I have actually changed my mind (that never happens...) about the vertical fence extension project, also. In the end, it would have ended up much more expensive than it is to simply clip the chickens wings to keep them in the chicken run. 
  •  Build better roosts in the chicken coop and REMEMBER to close the door!
Home

  • Hmmm... Is it even worth repeating myself on the household goals that I haven't met for the last two months?? 
I have to say, keeping up with the two puppies and the incontinent German Shepherd has kept me pretty busy indoors.



1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are homesteading! : ) Inevitably, things do happen. I lost my favorite hen not long ago to a mongoose, due to neglecting to close the coop door at dusk. Sometimes, the outside things do take precedence when there is a need to. It takes time to get things going where they need to be when newly homesteading. Don't get discouraged. Things will fall into place little by little. We change plans around our homesteading from time to time. Keep patient with your incontinent shepherd. Even dogs need your loving care. I admire you for taking the plunge into homesteading. May God bless your endeavors, Nichole.

    ReplyDelete