Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Coffee Creamer

I am a coffee addict. I admit it. In an average week, I go through about two 32 oz bottles of store-bought liquid creamer. I switch the flavors around. One week I have Almond Joy and Cinnabon, the next it may be White Chocolate and Raspberry. Sometimes I'll go back to the plain 'ol hazlenut or french vanilla, but most of the time I experiment with new flavors. Now, in  my defense, staying up until 7am isn't the easiest without a caffeine boost, and hey, why not make it tasty in the process, right?

Well, the other day I was blog surfing (don't know if it's an actual term, but it works) and I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Pie Coffee Creamer at Homemaking on the Homestead! (Lots of good pumpkin recipes there too!) I have been scouring the local stores for this with no luck, for the last month! So, I gathered the ingredients and made some this afternoon. I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, so I only made one batch at first. After testing it out with my cappuccino maker (makes some AWESOME froth!) it was a hit! I went ahead and made creamer out of the whole 32 oz of half & half that I bought. I'll easily go through it all in the 7-10 day lifespan, especially after sharing my success with my co-workers!

After realizing how awesome this creamer was, I started to wonder what else am I missing out in the world of homemade creamers? Really, if I can make it at home with REAL ingredients I'd much rather do that than look at the list on the store bought bottle and have no idea what's even in it! So I googled it! I now have an entire list of homemade creamers, that sound awesome! And I will share them with you as I try them out at home :)

So, here is the first one...


Pumpkin Pie Coffee Creamer

·         1 cup half-n-half
·         ½ cup cane juice crystals (can use white sugar instead)
·         3T canned pumpkin
·         ½ t vanilla
·         ½ t cinnamon
·         ¼ t ginger
·         1/8 t nutmeg
·         1/8 t cloves

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Heat until cane juice crystals or sugar is dissolved and ingredients are well combined. Enjoy in a hot cup of coffee. Store in refrigerator for 7-10 days.


Do you have anything that you can make better at home than store-bought? Share it! I'd love to hear about it in the comment section below :)

6 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me! Yummo! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe:) I think I should post it to my fb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it! One thing I would do different, is maybe not put so much pumpkin in it. It tends to settle at the bottom. Other than that, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! I will try this for my daughter on Thanksgiving - she has to get up at 3 am the next day to work on Black Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhhh...at last, I have found a kindred spirit in the world of coffee and creamer! I am just like you. Unfortunately, though, this recipe doesn't work for me because it's dairy heavy. I have to have the non-dairy creamer. It look delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the recipe could be altered to use a non-dairy ingredient like almond milk, etc. I found this recipe online. I am actually curious to try it myself :)
    http://twobluehouses.blogspot.com/2011/04/homemade-non-dairy-creamer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I sure love coffee and have all of this canned pumpkin in pantry, so I can't wait to make this! Thanks for linking this recipe!
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete