Friday, November 4, 2011

Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans

Since I have already exposed myself as a hardcore coffee drinker, here is another one of my weaknesses...

Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans

These things are AMAZING. I first had some when my parents brought a baggie home from their vacation. I was extremely hesitant. Who wants to eat a bitter, roasted coffee bean? Well was I in for a surprise! They are now probably my favorite piece of chocolate.

The only problem is, they are very pricey. Which means I have only had a handful since I discovered the wonderful combination. Until this week.

For some reason, it had never crossed my mind to make my own, until my sister made me try a spoonful of coffee grounds and chocolate chips. (crazy, I know, but I had my eyes closed) Then it was like a light bulb went off above my head! Why not make my own?!? Honestly, the grounds and chocolate chips tasted just like what we bought at the store. (ok, may not that good, but close enough)  Sooo, I set to work with a bag of dark chocolate chips and a bag of hazelnut flavored coffee beans.

To make your own you need your favorite type of chocolate and whole coffee beans. This time, I used dark chocolate, but I would like to try milk chocolate the next time I make them. 

Some people like to roast the coffee beans before coating them. Personally, I just used them right out of the bag. I like the crunchiness of them and the texture. If you want to roast them first, put them in a preheated oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes.

First of all, you need a double boiler or a saucepan and a glass bowl to melt the chocolate in. Once the chocolate is melted, add the coffee beans. Mix them around until they are thoroughly coated with chocolate. Other directions say to use a slotted spoon to let the excess chocolate to drip off. But... we're newlyweds and our kitchen isn't completely stocked with utensils yet. So, I used plastic knives to pick them out of the bowl. It works either way!

If they have an excessive amount of chocolate on them still, (not a bad thing, especially if you're not particularly fond of the coffee beans) try to get them into the freezer as soon as possible to prevent the chocolate from melting into a puddle around the bean.

And there you have it! Homemade Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans, at a fraction of the cost. I have a feeling these will make great homemade gifts for those that are crazy about coffee, combined with a cute coffee mug!

6 comments:

  1. I'm both a chocoholic and coffee addict, and I say this can't do anything but work well together. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. I can see myself with new addiction. Now I just have to decide whether I should thank-you for this post or not! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nichole,
    I have the same addiction problem... This recipe sounds like a yummy treat or gift. Thank you for linking up to the From the Heart Handmade Gifts Blog Hop. I love your pictures and I look forward to reading more about your farmgirl lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say there needs to be a coffee anonymous, but I'm quite content with my addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! This site is very informative for us which contain lot of information about Coffee Beans.
    Coffee Beans

    ReplyDelete