Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Camping Snacks

My family is planning a canoeing and camping trip scheduled for the beginning of May, so I have been on high gear searching for anything and everything camping related! I absolutely love anything outdoors, especially canoeing/kayaking, hiking and camping. We would be kayaking, but we are taking the "boys" (Chewie and Boomer) with us, so a canoe it is! It will be a first for us. I have never even thought of taking dogs canoeing, but this is the only way we can take them camping and hiking without having to drive back home the two hours after the canoe trip. Let's just say, it's gonna be interesting! ; )

Now, normally for me, a camping trip involves a huge grocery shopping list which translates into a lot of money spent on what is supposed to be a cheap(er) vacation. Even at that, the meal plan always seems to revolve around hot dogs and sandwiches.

This time though, I have resolved to make all of our meals using food we already have at home. I LOVE to cook over an open fire! In my opinion, cooking is almost the best part of the entire trip, second only to long hikes in the woods.

I will share the recipes that I use on the trip when we get back, but I have one to share right now. I was searching the internet for easy, healthy snacks, when I stumbled upon this gem! I had a bag of quinoa in the pantry, but I hadn't ventured so far as to try it yet. I figured this would be a good first step. Quinoa is a great source of protein and fiber along with many other nutrients.

This recipes varies from the original. After I made it, I decided that I didn't want it as sweet, since we will be eating it on the trail. I reduced the amount of honey in the recipe and I will be doing the same when I make the second batch. I also doubled it, and used what I had on hand.

In addition as a trail food, this would make an excellent cereal or topping for yogurt.

Coconut Quinoa Granola



Coconut Quinoa Granola

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup dried quinoa (I used white)
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup dried cranberries and apricots (or other dried fruit)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla

Mix together all ingredients and spread on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven at 250 degrees for an hour, turning it occasionally to brown evenly. This makes enough to almost fill a gallon freezer bag.

Linked to:
Barn Hop #59 

FarmGirl Fridays 

3 comments:

  1. Awe I want to go canoeing I am a chicken though. My husband wants to take us all camping this summer but I am honestly not the camping type. I am a high-tech gadget gal who is addicted to TV. My husband even got me the Tailgater so we can take TV anywhere we want to go in the wilderness. There is no hassle in the set-up and that’s my favorite part. The kids enjoy it as well heck they would love your granola recipe, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go! Never know, you might like it :) Some of my favorite childhood memories involve camping. I bet your kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete