Monday, April 16, 2012

Homemade Spinach Breakfast Burritos

It never fails. I get in the car after a long night at work and turn on the radio to keep from falling asleep. McDonald's or Subway, is always there to try to sway me to part with the money I just worked so hard to make. I try to tell myself that it's unhealthy, I don't need to spend the money, or that it won't taste that good. MOST of the time I win. But, I admit, sometimes in a moment of weakness I find the car making its way through the driveway. Almost as if it has a mind of its own. I honestly don't know how it gets there. But it does, and by the time I'm halfway home I'm already regretting the $7 down the drain and the extra 1,000 calories that I DID NOT NEED!

It would be so much easier to resist it if I knew I had something quick and easy to eat when I get home. Yeah, I could buy a bag of frozen breakfast burritos or egg sandwiches, but this is way cheaper. And tastes better. And I know what is in it!

Now, I did cheat a little with this. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't put the time and effort into chopping fresh peppers, onions, and potatoes, but since peppers are out of season right now it was cheaper to buy the bag of frozen peppers. I thought it was worth the time saved for the potatoes too. I did get the spinach out of my garden though!






Homemade Spinach Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients:

16 Burrito sized tortilla shells
2 lbs browned sausage
2 dozen eggs
4 cups of diced peppers and onions, sauteed
2 lbs of diced potatoes or hash browns
12 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Fresh Baby Spinach

Combine cooked sausage, potatoes, peppers and onions in a large bowl. Scramble eggs, then add to sausage mixture. Add the spinach and cheese, mix thoroughly. Spoon into tortilla shells and fold like a burrito. Place flat in gallon sized ziplock bags and freeze. Makes 16-17 burritos. 

Note: Don't forget to season the potatoes (salt, pepper, etc.) as you cook them. I forgot to, and it was difficult seasoning the entire mixture!


Not very pretty, but really tasty!


Fresh spinach adds a nutritious touch!


Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #23

FarmGirl Fridays

4 comments:

  1. I love spinach IN things (just wrote about that today lol) I found your blog through the Teach Me Tuesday link up. Here is my link-up : http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-green-smoothies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, the spinach was actually a last minute addition to the burritos. I had a bag that was getting old, so I tossed it in. lol

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, they sound and look pretty darn good to me. Thanks Nichole. I am going to whip some up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, they are pretty good, since I'm eating one right now!

      Delete